Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Wow...Can You Say Jet Lag?

Howdy folks!

I'm sorry for being remiss and not posting since I have been home, but I have been completely wiped out and have had no energy for anything. Also, being home and being able to sleep in my bed has been wonderful, but like everything else, it has been a painful adjustment.

So...Mark, in his last post, advised that I would give details about our trip home and the wonderful experience at the airport. Well, the flight really wasn't too bad. The first leg from Barcelona to London was quick, thank God, because they were regular business class seats and had the flight been longer than the hour and a half, I would have been in trouble. I took a pain pill....so, all was good! :-) When we arrived in London, it was nice to be able to go to the British Airways lounge and wait for the connecting flight. I was able to lay down and "veg" for a little while. Also, I was able to use the caregiver card to get Jeff in as well, even though he wasn't seated in business class. The flight wasn't bad. I took another pain med once we got on the plane and was able to sleep for a while and then I watched a movie and read. Landing went well. Everything was good, that is, until we hit Hartsfield! Who would have thunk that it would take almost 2 freakin' hours to get out of the airport? There was a fiasco trying to get a wheelchair to get through the airport. I actually got kicked out of the wheelchair because the worker didn't think that I needed it. He had the audacity to say, "Do you really need this?", then he laughed!!! Yep, he actually laughed. I thought Mark was going to blow a gasket. Then, we actually had to wait over 45 minutes to get through Customs. Picked up the luggage, only to find out that we needed to put it on another conveyer belt to re-pick up at baggage claim. After that, then we had to go through security again. Needless to say, the wheelchair was not very comfortable and I hadn't taken any pain meds for over 9 hrs. Had I known it was going to take so long to get through the airport, I definitely would have drugged up! :-)

The drive home was horrible! I was hurting so bad and finding a comfortable position in Mark's car was impossible. I couldn't get out of the car fast enough to be able to "run" to the bedroom to lay down on my bed. I knew that Augustus wasn't going to understand what was happening, but at that point, I just needed to lay down, no matter what! As soon as my body hit the bed, I immediately started to cry. I couldn't stop it. Mark held me and told me it was ok because I needed to cry through the pain. I took a pain pill and fell asleep fairly quick once the throbbing was under control.

Sunday was a pretty good day because I was able to sleep. That was the first time in 2 weeks that I actually slept. I woke up Sunday and felt relatively good. However, I stayed up most of the day and didn't stay on my med regime so...by the end of the day, my hips were killing me from sitting too long and the pains in my legs was worse.

Yesterday, the jet lag was starting to really effect me. I was sooo tired and had a hard time doing anything. I completed my exercises and walked a lot inside, then went for a walk with Mark and Augustus in the neighborhood in the evening. Other than that, I was just trying to block out the pain and get through the day.

Today, a little more of the same. I had to take some pain meds late this afternoon because the leg pain got to be too much to handle. I decided that I was going to spend a good portion of my day laying on my heating pad to see if some of the hip pain would subside. It has helped some, so that is good. Also, I have definitely felt the storm coming in today so maybe that is what is making me so uncomfortable.

Well, there it is. Nothing to glamorous. I'm just taking everything day by day and trying to read my new body. I have to say that I'm so excited to be home and happy to be able to spend the start of the holiday season with many family members so...things couldn't be better, despite my current challenges.

Have a good night,
Kim

4 comments:

  1. Lots of rest and TLC. Heat was always good for me. The first cold, wet day at home got me too, but I seem to be fine with it now. You will feel better with each passing day. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JS! I'm definitely hanging in. And I agree with the resting. Presently, my stamina is in the toilet and I'm tired all the time. Think I'm going to adopt a napping policy for the next few weeks! :-)

    I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Kim.... Healing will take time and I know that this short term discomfort will be worth it. Now remember it took your body years how to work with your bad back as you know. As your body learns this new walk it's walking be patient with it, listen to it and be patient and forgiving with yourself... Scream when you need to and cry when you have to and know it's ok because you've endured more pain in your life than others will ever be able to understand. Everyday will bring milestones of less pain, more stamina and more movement... I look forward to reading about your small victories... A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, A! I have to say...today was definitely one of those little victories. I have been up all day and was able to take a good walk with Mark and Augustus (basically one that we used to take before all this started again)! I am still going to take it day by day, but this was a good indication that things are heading in the right direction! Hope we can see you soon. Hope you had a good Turkey Day!

    Take care,
    K

    ReplyDelete