Friday, November 25, 2011

Milestone #2-Post-Op Week 2

Well, I'm only 2 days late, but it wasn't my fault! :-) I tried to post from my new Kindle Fire on Wednesday night, but to no avail. Of course, it wasn't user error...so I am a few days late.

First, I have to say...I can believe that I went through major surgery only 2 weeks ago and I can already tell that I'm on the road to recovery. I can walk better, sitting is still uncomfortable, but not unbearable (for the most part) and I'm able to lift my left leg about 4-6 inches off the ground now so...I can see progress.

One problem I can see already is not stopping myself from doing "things". If you do know me or haven't caught on from any of my postings...I can't sit still for long. Or when it comes to others doing for me...I'm really not used to having to rely on others for help. Through everything in Barcelona and since we have been home, Mark has been wonderful to help me with whatever I need and now my parents are staying with us until after Christmas.

Where am I at physically? I'm walking fairly well. I compensated so long with having to limp through my gait from the left side, I am trying to make sure that I keep my stride straight and not limp on the left. Otherwise, my gait has improved significantly. Sitting as I already stated is still uncomfortable, but with shifting positions, I can usually alleviate the problem for a while. I'm not requiring many retreats to the bedroom to lay down. Still taking Ibuprofen 800mg q8, Vicodin 7.5mg q8 (starting to experiment with taking only 2x/day), and the sleeping pill that Dr. Clavel prescribed (blanking on the name).

The plan for next week is to look into aquatic v. traditional PT. Have a call into my PCP to discuss starting the physical aspect of my recovery and discuss medication refills.

So far so good...

K

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are making progress and had a good day! The general consensus seems to be around 8-12 weeks of aqautic therapy (with a PT) before any land-based. You still get the resistance from the water, but the heat (90 to 94 degrees) prevents muscles cramps, etc. You can work easy or hard in the water (obviously very easy at first). Does Dr Clavel have any recommendations for you? I wouldn't expect my GP to be familiar with ADR therapy recommendations. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete