Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Post-op week #3

Hey everyone,

I know that I haven't posted in a while. Still having bouts of being very tired and most days, typing just isn't on my list of things I want to do after exercising, being up and trying to increase my stamina. No offense to anyone who is reading and keeping track of my miraculous recovery!! :-) Please know that I appreciate your continued support.  I think I have decided to post just once a week unless something out of the ordinary happens (good or not so good).

Let's see...what has been happening this past week. I feel some stronger. Walking isn't an issue for me so that is great. Sitting...it is slowly getting better and I am able to remain in a sitting position with minimal repositioning. I would say that I'm comfortable for about 1-2 hrs, though 2 hrs is definitely pushing it right now. My left leg is also improving, but not a great deal yet. I can lift it off the floor much easier while standing, but if I'm in a sitting/laying position, I can barely lift it without great pain. Still waiting for my hip to pop. Hoping that will help and looking into more range of motion exercises that might help.

Today, my decision was made for me regarding whether or not I'm going to go to PT. In looking at the exercises given to me by Dr. Clavel prior to leaving Spain, they were exercises I had either done prior to this surgery at PT or I did after my first surgery and am familiar. So, I spoke with my case manager for my long term disability case and he advised that they want to know who I'm going to be using for PT since they will want to track my progress. So...since it needs to be documented, I guess I will figure out what I'm going to do. I have been doing my exercises twice daily and walking so adding the weekly increase wouldn't have been a problem for me, but that decision is out of my hands so I will suck it up and do what I need to do to keep that money coming into the household.

Surprisingly at week three, my pain is very controllable. As I stated last week, I was going to trial cutting down my pain meds and I have been able to do that successfully...yay!! :-) I have been able to cut my ibuprofen down to q12 and I have cut my vicodin dosage from 7.5mg to 5mg and the frequency down to q12. Actually, today I didn't have to take anything until about 3pm and confused myself a little because I couldn't understand why I was hurting, then remembered that I hadn't taken anything yet. Another reason I was a little more sore today was I was decorating for Christmas yesterday and I know I did more than I should have...but that is because I'm a bull headed German and that's how it goes with me!! :-)

I have to say that for being at this point post-op, I definitely didn't think that I would be doing this well and I'm happy to be where I'm at. Things aren't perfect and of course, I need to slow down a little, but mentally it helps to know that I'm going to recover and be better for making one of the most difficult decisions of my life. Oh, and on top of it...my incision looks great! I'm so excited because my posterior scar from my previous surgeries is U..G..L..Y and this one...well, maybe someday I will be able to wear the 2 piece I said I would not be able to wear after this surgery! :-) One can dream!

I think that is about it for now...

Hope y'all have a great week,
Kim

1 comment: