Sunday, November 20, 2011

HOME!

Well we made it home. Kim appeared to do ok on the 8+ hour flight from London to Atlanta. The lie flat seat was definitely needed and was a life saver. However once we landed in Atlanta the nightmare started. Kim will probably describe her ordeal so I will just give an overview. Wheelchair fiasco, Immigration delay, TSA screening BS! and the ride home. All this made for Kim arriving home with extreme pain that had her on the bed crying. I felt so bad watching her and Augustus did not have a clue what was going on and he did not like "mommy" being like that. He did get up on the bed with her and started to softly lick her face to help. He even felt bad. Even with the pain meds the pain lasted about 10-15 minutes but felt like an hour. Kim did manage to get some restful sleep (your own bed helps ALOT) with only a couple of "move the dog" moments. Augustus would not leave her for most of the night (the great protector).  Kim woke up feeling much better.  So we are home and Kim can start to truly heal her body and begin her recovery. She has a long way to go but she is tough and can handle the task. Just watching her move around the house today encourages me about her future. So this may be my last post as Kim will be updating for those who want to follow her continue healing process.
I want to thank everyone for the love, support, comments, and encouragement that has been coming for Kim as well as me. I knew going into this journey it would not be easy. I could not have done this alone and having the support of everyone back home made it better. The most gratitude has to go to my brother Jeff. I really don't know how I could have handled this without him with me. He was a lifesaver! All his help with everything from just helping with luggage to cooking, bringing food to the hospital, hanging out bored stiff instead of seeing Barcelona. He did get to see some of the sights and met some of the nicest people. I can not even start to tell him how much he means to me and how grateful I am and will be for all his help.

Mark

4 comments:

  1. So glad it was bearable. Seems like many of us survived the long leg, only to encounter nightmares on our own soil! Get some rest in your own wonderful bed, and happy healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are home and doing better ... cant wait to meet you!!!
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim/Mark,

    What an unfortunate arrival home! But I'm so glad that you're back. It's certainly good to hear that you feel like being up and around in your own house. Here's hope and praying for a successful recovery; a three level lumbar ADR is a HUGE surgery.

    Good luck, Jeff

    (I finally figured out, with a little bit of relief, that Augustus is the dog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the warm wishes for getting home. I'm super excited to be home and to get on with recovering.

    Jeff- yep, Augustus is the dog! :-) He is my furry little boyfriend and I sometimes forget to explain that to others because I think everyone knows who he is.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete