Sunday, January 22, 2012

Good Butt Kicking!

Week #10

I had a good week. My left hip has stayed in place since being "popped" back in. It isn't hurting nearly as much, more sore than anything. I did push it a little far this week, but when I felt the tweaking of pain, I backed down from what I was doing. Both PT sessions went great! Tuesday was aqua and Lisa kicked my butt. She had me for another 1.5 hour session. She started working with me on advanced core exercises and balancing. The core-no problem; balancing-not so good! :-) I'm really glad that I was working my core, even with the pain, prior to surgery because I really feel that all that work has helped with how good my recovery has progressed. Thursday was my first land session and Kevin, more than Lisa, definitely kicked my butt!! :-) But it was good. I did better than I thought I would be capable of at this point post-op. That session was 1.5+ hour session and needless to say, I was a little tired when I was done. I could feel that I have a ways to go to regain my strength and stamina, but I'm able to keep up with what they are having me do and advance with little difficulty! I have to say, I'm excited because I can see that with continued effort, things will just keep getting better and better. I asked Kevin this week about his recommendations about hiring a personal trainer and he laughed a little. He said that I don't even need to be thinking about advancing that much until 6+ months post-op. I told him I'm ready to get back in shape and take things to the next level. I know...no need to put the cart before the horse! One day at a time...blah, blah, blah!!! :-) It is much easier said than done some times, but I will slow down so I don't hurt myself and my progress.

I went for my weekly massage. I'm still sore in my hips and legs, but it has lessened some this week. I'm still med free which is great! I'm so happy that I haven't had to revolve me recovery around that aspect. I have been tempted though lately to take my sleeping pills because I'm still not sleeping well and I don't want to get worn down (more than I kind of feel now). I have an appointment with my PCP on Wed and will talk to her about my not sleeping. Also, hopefully she will order my 12 week x-rays without a problem.

Well folks, only 3 more weeks until I have to go back to work. I don't know how I feel about that. I'm definitely looking forward to having something to occupy more of my daily time, but I'm a little anxious about getting back into the swing of things. I have been keeping track of all the changes that have been happening via email, but it isn't the same as being there. I have been the go to person at work for so long and I have been on top of all the insurance changes, policy changes, new committee meetings, I'm a member of our Ethics Committee, JCAHO accredited Joint Committee and our Spine Committee, along with several other committees that having not been since August, I think I'm going to be spinning my wheels for a few weeks getting back. Plus, with Dr. Clavel wanting me to transition back and not start out full speed will make it take a little longer to get back on top of it all. I will just have to do what I can and take it one day at a time...hopefully, that will be enough.

Well...that is all for this week. Hope everyone is well and things are positive!  :-)

Take care,
Kim

9 comments:

  1. hey congratulations on your recovery. I have a question for you, how would you quantify your pain now? from 0-10 with 10 being the worse?
    like you i had a laminectomy and am wondering if that is a contraindication to ADR? i also had a spinal infection so i am wondering if i will ever get an ADR now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raj,

      Thanks for your well wishes. Everything considered, I'm doing quite well post-op. My pain now is negligible. To be honest, I don't really have much pain anymore. Worst days now, maybe 1-2, but that is more from pain and stiffness. I don't know if you have read much of my blog, but I have been off all pain meds for I like between 4-6 weeks. My pain was mostly being generated from my left hip being out of place. My PT "popped" it back in and things have been progressing well for the past few weeks.

      To answer your question, yes, any surgery can possibly be a contraindication for ADR. Also, the infection, especially osteomyelitis, can pose hisses as well. One of the main factors looked at with having a previous laminectomy is the possibility the surgeon might have resected the facet joints. If the happens, it could cause a stability issue with the implants. Also, with the infection it can cause weakening of the vertebrae thus presenting bone integrity issues that could cause the implants not to take if the bone won't heal properly.

      In my case, I had the 2 prior laminectomies when I was 28 and that initially was a concern for me having ADR, especially a three level. However, at this point, I couldn't be happier with my decision about surgery. MD, and location.

      I've been reading your correspondence with LUD and I think you taking it slow in your decision making process is a good idea. Give your body some time to recoup off the IV Abx and con't to take the calcium. I strongly recommend aquatic PT if it is available to you in India. I have been going and it has been much better on my body
      than starting land based PT right off. One of the main reasons I finally went through with ADR was the instability I felt in my lumbar spine, so keep that in mind while you heal since you mentioned something similar.

      I wish you luck in your recovery and your decision making. You sound like you are in a better place since your first posts. All of this can be scary and make for some sleepless nights, but the more positive you can be, the better your outcome. This I truly believe because as I've gotten older and have had to deal with multiple bouts of disability, surgeries, etc., the more positive I tried to feel, the better my outcome. This time, I basically put it in God's hands (and my husband's, of course) :-) and things are going as well as I could hope at this point.

      Keep your chin up! You are doing a great job traveling this uncharted course you are on. Just keep reaching out for the support you need because we are here for you. I don't post very often, but that doesn't mean I'm not available to you. If you need me, just reach out and I'll be here to help.

      Take care,
      Kim

      Delete
    2. hey kim thanks...wow you sure have been through a lot. yea i had two surgeries already having a two level laminotomy and disectomy. after the infection, i had a complete laminectomy of my L5 and again partial laminectomy of the L4. i am getting better now day by day. you said one of the reasons you went through with the ADR was because of the instability you felt in your lumbar spine? i thought if your spine was unstable then you cannot get ADR? well after getting the ADR is your spine more stable now than it was before? yea 3 level is quite something...i am considering a hybrid or a two level. i am assuming a hybrid would be better since the fusion would make my spine more stable. i am definitely still recovering. in two weeks i will be done with antibiotics and i will have to wait an additional couple of months to make my bone stronger and heal from the infection. it was quite a traumatic experience. i dont have pain as much as i did when i had the infection. i just feel kind of unstable. it hurts sitting and it hurts getting up. i would definitely have to take a bone scan and dexa scan to determine the density of my spine before i go ahead with the decision. i will keep you posted...possibly ask you more questions down the line

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any updates? How are you doing Kim?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim,

    Just wondering how your back is feeling? I am considering Dr. Clavel for a possible 2 level M6L surgery. Do you have any advice about Spain or any tips with regard to recovery that you could share? I would really like to hear how you are. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim - how are you doing? I just discovered your blog and saw your last update was back in January - is everything OK? I hope so. Sincerely, Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just cane across your blog and am wondering how your recovery is progressing. I am considering a 3 level adr with Dr. Clavel and looking for any help I can making my decision.
    Hope this finds you well,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, how are you doing? Better than your readership, I hope, b/c you have us dying in suspense. Please tell us you are well so that we cannot infer the opposite.

    ReplyDelete